Friday, April 29, 2011

Review: Midnight Marriage

Midnight MarriageMidnight Marriage by Lucinda Brant

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Because I just have to occasionally filk my reviews:



I was woken up at midnight and my nurse made me high
They married me off to a drunken teenager cuz I was high
I don't remember getting married at all, and now I know why-y-y
Because I was high
Because I was high
Because I was high
da da dum dum dum dum


In this novel which was apparently partially based on a true story, a 12-year-old girl is woken up at midnight, drugged, and married off to a Duke's son for reasons that make sense only if you're an aristocrat dealing with a problem child but nonetheless scared of a mesalliance. Years later they meet again--and the husband decides to claim his bride by wooing and wedding her (again) without telling her about the original marriage. This is an awesome idea. As expected, it sows distrust into the couple's precarious relationship at the point in time when a family enemy is ready to strike.

Lucinda Brant's books remind me of the romances I used to read when I was younger, but I don't see much of anymore. The heat level is mild. The main characters are charming. The aristocrats are, probably historically accurately, simultaneously charming and horrible snobs. There are duels and elopements and secrets and intrigue--all the ingredients you want to have a really swashbuckling tale . They remind me a little bit of Georgette Heyer's early romances without being annoyingly derivative.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment